MySQL is a SQL (Structured Query Language) database server. SQL is the
most popular database language in the world. MySQL is a client server
implementation that consists of a server daemon mysqld and many different
The main goals of MySQL are speed and robustness. MySQL is TECFA's
favorite database. It's free, it never crashes, it's fast and it's not too
hard to build WWW applications together with PHP.
1. MySQL @ TECFA
At TECFA we run MySQL on both Solaris server machines. We use
version mysql-3.23.48-sun-solaris2.8-sparc (or better).
(under construction, Patrick mets ce que tu veux)
See the Documentation page at the MySQL site for more and check for other stuff.
Also: JDBC MySQL Driver documentation is in the Software section.
Locally installed Manuals (version 3.23.?):
Originals, get them yourselves from here:
- DuBois Paul, Widenius Monty (1999) MySQL, New Riders Publishing; ISBN: 0735709211, 850 pages. Dont' have it, but it gets good reviews
- Randy Jay Yarger, George Reese, Tim King (1999), MySQL and mSQL, O'Reilly & Associates; ISBN: 1565924347
- Craig Hilton, Jeff Willis, Bjorn Borud (Dec 1999), Building Database Applications on the Web Using PHP3: Addison-Wesley Pub Co; ISBN: 0201657716. Good reviews, focus on Postgres
- Judith S. Bowman, Sandra L. Emerson (Contributor), Marcy Darnovsky (Contributor) (1996), The Practical Sql Handbook : Using Structured Query Language, Addison-Wesley Pub Co; ISBN: 0201447878. [ Focus on Beginners ]
See also the Documentation Page at Tcx.
See also the list of contributed programs
at the MySQL Site.
Here we list just software that we use or plan to use:
See ALSO: SUN's java.sql API doc (local password protected). You get
this page from your own JDK API doc.
- See Tecfa's PHP Page which includes PHP/MySQL related stuff. At Tecfa the language of choice for Web-based MySQL applications is PHP. Just started learning JDBC, 1/99 :)
- DataBase Interfaces Kreator (2002, not tested yet)
Currently (1/99) only mm and twz1 seem to be popular.
Both are free. See also the JDBC Section for general
JDBC Tutorials. [Tecfa Users: Classes are in /local/java/classes/xxx..]
Utilities / adaptable clients
- MySQL-Formmaker is a tool for creating easy adminstration forms and ouput of data. (Needs MySQL & PhP)
- DbConnectionBroker, a pure Java package for handling multiple concurrent database connections.
- TableGen. This package automatically generates classes to represent tables within a database. It is released under GPL. (works with the twz/mm MySQL drivers.
- For GUIs, see the downloads section of www.mysql.com. You can find e.g. MySQLGUI. There are others but we can't keep track of them
- phpMyAdmin, Web-based client
To to be moved out /explored etc.
6. Other DBs at TECFA