TECFA's XQuery Page
(only sporadically updated)
XML Applications Pointers (DTDs, Schemas),
Xquery is a query language that uses the structure of XML intelligently can express queries across all these kinds of data, whether physically stored in XML or viewed as XML via middleware. In other words, you can use it to retrieve things from files, from XML representations made from SQL databases, from native XML databases like exists. In addition, Xquery is quite a real programming language. XUpdate is a protocol to updated (XQuery can't). XML Databases are servers in which can plug XML "as is" and get it back with Xquery and/or XSLT.
XQuery and XML Databases @ TECFA
We don't use it (yet). I just played arount with the eXisT dabase and the Xquery processor of saxon. I have the impression that XQuery also can replace parts of what is done now with XSLT (much easier to write "real" programs").
Documentation & Validation
- W3C HTML Validation Service This validator doesn't always work with your own DTD's. Its primary function is to validate W3C vocabularies (HTML, XHTML, SVG, MathML, ... )
- XML:DB XUpdate Use Cases by Kimbro Staken. This document outlines a basic set of uses cases for the XUpdate specification from the XML:DB Initiative.
XML database manuals
XML Database Tutorials
- Xindice is a native XML database. Supports XPath queries and XML:DBXUpdate. Java and has a XML-RPC API plugin. It has grown out from dbXML is a native XML database (JDK 1.3,
LGPL licence). See also the Xindice Wiki at Apache for more information, e.g. a pointer to XIndicePHPAdmin. There exist
other PHP libraries, but most projects seem to be inactive.
[This project seems to stall since sept 2004, see dbXML or eXist)
- dbXML, GPL license. dbXML is a Native XML Database (NXD). NXDs are databases that store XML using an internalized format for faster overall processing. dbXML was developed using the Java 2 Standard Edition version 1.4.
- eXist XML database and retrieval engine, an alternatives to popular Xindice. [1.0b2 in 6/2005, tested @Tecfa but in in production - faster (for lots of small documents) than Xindice, more other features too that I like: XQuery, XUpdate, XML:DB API, xml-rpc support, REST support, WebDav, PHP API (needs dowloading from CVS), good Cocoon Integration ]. A side note for qualitative analysis people: seed XML DBs as Research Tools (by darcusblog)
A tool for transforming relational databases into XML documents
As Servlet or standalone. Xindice is a fork of this (don't know if db2xml development continues).
- Oracle Berkeley DB XML. Oracle Berkeley DB XML is an open source, embeddable XML database with XQuery-based access to documents stored in containers and indexed based on their content. Oracle Berkeley DB XML is built on top of Oracle Berkeley DB and inherits its rich features and attributes. [Not tested / DKS 12/2006]
XQuery clients & libraries
- Safari Guide Safari Guide is a free application for Mac OS X Tiger that allows developers to evaluate arbitrary XPath and XQuery expressions against the current frontmost Safari webpage. [10/2005]
XMLdbGUI is an XML:DB API compliant implementation that should work with eXist and Xindice(not tested).
Last modified: Tue Oct 2 12:01:15 CEST 2007