'Surf_and_Turf' Web-MOO Client
"the client that lets you SURF,
from the convenience of your own MOO TURF..."
Thank you for your interest in the 'Surf_and_Turf' Web-MOO client. This Java
based client was designed
by the CollegeTown MOO development team at
Buena Vista University
to make it easy for MOO users to view and display Web
Pages from inside their virtual communities. MOO administrators who wish to make this
client available to their users may consult the
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS below.
Using the S&T client you can create MOO objects and attach Web Page addresses to
them. You can then 'view object' to bring up the page on your own browser
'display object' to bring up the associated Web Page on the browser screens of
everyone else in the room. The purpose of this client is to make collaborative
web viewing as simple as possible. Additional moo coded objects such as
slide projectors are available on
CollegeTown for porting if you wish.
Want to Try it out? Press here to activate the client and pay a visit to CollegeTown, Buena Vista
University's virtual community.
(Caveat: The S&T Client
works best when accessed through Netscape under Windows 95. It will not
work as well on Macs until Netscape has fully implemented Mac Java
Using the S&T Client
Using the S&T Client to create a MOO object with an associated Web Page is
Suppose you have a picture of your new puppy on a web page somewhere and you want
to look at that picture from inside the MOO. Just type:
@create $thing named ZeldaPicture
connect ZeldaPicture to http://www.bvu.edu/faculty/schweller/zelda.jpg
and Bingo! Zelda's cute little picture pops right up on the web part of the
screen. If you want to show Zelda's picture to everyone in the room just
and everyone in the room using this client will see the little pup!
You can make MOO objects and link them to all sorts of things. Here are some ideas:
- MobyDick - linked to text of Melville's great work
- BVU_homepage - linked to Buena Vista University's Home Page
- AltaVista - linked to that great web search engine
- Syllabus - linked to your online reading list
The T&S Client also includes additional features to make the online editing of notes, verbs,
and ascii drawings much simpler.
This is accomplished by making the MOO screen itself 'editable' so you can,
for example, read your note, edit its contents right on the screen, and then
resave the edited text.
For full instructions on the use of the 'Surf_and_Turf' Client press here.
If you would like to try out the client you may press here to visit CollegeTown.
Installation Instructions for MOO administrators:
- Connect to the anonymous ftp site at galaxy.bvu.edu/pub/SurfandTurf
- Ftp the following files in BINARY mode to a directory on your Web Server.
stclient.html - this file
README - ftp and installation instructions
WebMOO.html - call this from web page to activate S&T client
top.html - general welcome and instructions
bottom.html - controls actual client activation
help.html - help using client and moo commands
WebMOOy.class - java code, main driver and socket code
InputPanely.class - java code, controls I/O and editing
Sketchpady.class - java code, multiuser white board
MooInputAreay.class - java code, for moo input
SaveDialogy.class - java code, dialog for saving sketch pad
MooFramey.class - java code, misc
moocode - MOO code that must be added to your MOO server
- Be sure Web Server and MOO server reside on the same machine.
- Edit the file 'bottom.html' if your MOO's port address is not 7777.
- Add the MOO code in the file 'moocode' to your MOO server. This will
probably require 'wiz' permission.
- Set up a button on your Web Page connected to
The 'Surf_and_Turf' Web-MOO client was developed by
CollegeTown Development Team of
Blanchard, Goodrich, and
The 'Surf_and_Turf' client is still under development . Please send
additional ideas, comments or bug reports to
* Copyright (c) 1996-1997 Buena Vista University
* This client is available free in executable format for non-commercial use.
* Ken Schweller and the CollegeTown Moo development team reserve the sole
* rights to modify and distribute this software.
* This product is still under development and we do not guarantee it to be
* free of
* bugs or to work correctly at all times. It is not designed for use in any
* situation which is high risk or requires near fail-safe performance.