TECFA's XSL Page
XSL is two languages of the XML framework: XSL/FO is for
formatting (as more powerful alternative to CSS). XSLT
is for transformations
XSL @ TECFA
- PHP 5 for server side, Saxon for client-side batch processing. We stopped using Cocoon 1
- Locally made examples: simple XML and XSLT (browse the directory). Some stuff will not work (because old)
- Some people use XSLT for presenting different HTML + PDF views of the same document (XSLT + FO), done with xerces, xalan and fop
Specifications, standards and official propaganda
NewsGroups and Mailing Lists
(most are somewhat technical, see also general XML tutorials on
IMPORTANT: Some tutorials do not respect the current XSLT Specification [don't have time to clean them ou :( ]
- XSL-FO (very good on-line BOOK)
- FOP Slide Kit. Technical article from Paul Sandoz (SUN) about slides with FOP
XSL for programmers
See the XML Pointers for now.
PHP's XSLT processor
- SAXON The
SAXON package is a collection of tools for processing XML
documents, e.g. an XSL (XSLT and XPath).
INSTALLED at Tecfa: [password protected ] local
documentation. Saxon has extension features that others (Xalan) have
- Gnome LibXML2 and it's associated XSLT C library. Used in PHP 5.0. There also command line tools for batch use, including xsltproc that also does XInclude. Installed @ Tecfa
- tkxsltproc is a GUI frontend for the Gnome libxslt packages (see above). MacOSX, Win, Linux [9/2004]
- Sablotron Sablotron is a fast, compact and portable XML toolkit implementing XSLT 1.0, DOM Level2 and XPath 1.0. Has some extensions, e.g. multiple output files. This is also the library used in PHP 4.x
- Apache / Xalan-J is a Java-based XSLT 1.0 processor. Works with Xerces-Java (XML parser). Both are also distributed with other Apache products, like FOP. (installed @ Tecfa)
- Apache / FOP
is the world's first print formatter driven by XSL formatting objects. It is a Java application that reads a formatting object tree and then turns it into a PDF document. Installed @ Tecfa.
- xmlroff. Sun sponsored xsl formatter for productin PDF and PS (2/2003). Early Beta, [not tested yet].
Editors and Modes
- Stylus XSLT Editor is part of Stylus XML editor (Windows, payware = $275 academic, 30 Day demo, home edition = $49)
- XSLT-process is a minor mode for GNU Emacs/XEmacs which transforms it into a powerful editor with XSLT processing and debugging capabilities (For people who know Emacs!)
- XSLTDoc, an XSLT stylesheet documentation generator (tested/works)
- catchXSL, an XSL profiler from I3 written in Java, needs Xalan or Saxon.
Showing context-free examples is a tricky issue, since tree transformations and rendering depends on specific DTDs and tasks.
Ratings: Stars are not quality indicators, but
related to "usefulness" for what we do
locally at Tecfa (teaching/R&D/research):
= "must have a look at it".
= "may have a look at it"