TECFA's little Cocoon Page
This page hasn't been updated SINCE summer 2002 !!!
Keywords: XML, Cocoon, Web Publishing
is a complete publishing framework within
Apache's XML Project
(features XSLT, XSP, SQL processors, file cache and more)
using Apache Java Jakarta technology.
Its server pages technology XSP is a powerful
alternative to JSP.
Cocoon is used at TECFA as standard XML publication framework.
Cocoon @ TECFA
Some simple examples of usage
- "Course programs", e.g. A training Course on teaching with Interet
- Support for project based learning, e.g. in the STAF-18 course 1999/2000 students had to write research plans and results using XML vocabularies. Special-purpose servlets extract data from these files (click around in the page and look for results, specifications lists etc.
- "Work Pages for students": List students and click on "Work Page"s. Servlets can extract data and produce custom listings, see e.g. "Exercices rendus" on the
- Various Cocoon examples used
for teaching Cocoon
Warning, this refers strictly to Cocoon. See ALSO: Documentation on XSLT, FO and such ...
- Make sure to read the official Cocoon doc (ALL of XSP Processor, XSP WD, ESQL Taglib, etc. and look at their examples ....
- Introduction to Cocoon 2 by Leigh Dodds, tutorial at IBM.
Introductory tutorial covering how to install and configure Cocoon,
introduction to the principles of the Cocoon 2 architecture and its key
components, and example pipeline configurations that demonstrate how to
construct a dynamic Web site using Cocoon and XSLT
Working with XML Server Pages in Apache Cocoon 2 by Leigh Dodds.
This tutorials introduces XML Server Pages (XSP), the Cocoon technology for
generating dynamic XML content.
Cocoon 2: Build database-driven sites. by Leigh Dodds, Tutorial at IBM. Discusses how to use Cocoon 2 to generate and publish XML and HTML content based on database data (read the other 2 above first).
- Generating Web content with Cocoon intro article by M. Classen @ Webreference
- Chapter 9: Web Publishing Frameworks from the Javaa and XML book (B. McLaughlin, O'Reilly), good but maybe outdated in some ways.
- JSP vs. XSP by Sue Spielmann / OnJava (all-in-1-page version)
- Very short introduction to Cocoon (without XSP)
- XSP Tutorial by David Parry.
- XSP Processor - A Primer by Ricardo Rocha. Document (probably written in older Cocoon days) which may complement the official thing
- GYXml documentation a page with a lot of text on XSP (don't know what is original, have to read it first)
- Locally produced beginner's examples with a little bit of exaplanation
- Using PHP and XML with Apache Cocoon ... strange idea :)
- Dishing Up Dynamic Content (short article mentionning cocoon, oracle xsql and MS SQL Server)
- Cocoon 2 How To Pages (by Michal Durdina)
NewsGroups and Mailing Lists
Documentation for programmers
XSP Tag Libraries
Note that Cocoon has "shipped-with" tablibs, e.g. esql (SQL taglib).
- Chello. This
application is a minimal Cocoon 2 application. Its goal is to be
a good start for any new Cocoon 2 project (dec/2001)
Last modified: Wed Nov 19 19:52:56 MET 2003