Note: See X3D Pages for X3D !!
6.1.1 VRML 97 Browsers
Be careful when you install 2 plugins/browser on the same (Win/NT)
machine. Not only you need a plug-in chooser (e.g.
Sony's), but if you want things to work correctly consult
Bob Crispen's Index (the "Viewing VRML Worlds) section).
- Cortona (alive 2004) Win/NT VRML 97 browser, has good reviews.
- http://www.cai.com/cosmo/ The Home of Cosmo Player (1/2000). Dead project, but still a
popular VRML 97 browser for Win/Mac
- Cosmo Player for Irix (available since 2/99, IRIX 6.5 and ABOVE only)
- WorldView (Win, Mac versions) by Intervista. Dead project.
Blaxxun Contact for Win/NT (full VRML97 browser with Blaxxun multi-user worlds
extensions). DEAD Project (2002) alive again in 2004. See also BS
Contact below !
- BS Contact (derived from Blaxxun I believe). Available from
BitManagement (2004) and also X3D capable.
- Twirl Recent HTML & VRML stand alone browser for Power Mac, small and
fast (9/99), DEAD project ??
6.1.2 Partial VRML 97 Browers
- OPEN VRML Win & Posix open source browser.
- Casus Presenter (looks like a good solution for old Sun's, but needs
OpenInventor and other stuff (??) installed)
- Open Worlds VRML and X3D support for C++ and Java, customizable (commercial)
VRML browsers and libraries. Industrial strength.
6.1.3 Indexes / Comparisons of browsers
Rather look at general VRML/X3D indexes.
(needs updating, see the VRML Indexes section instead or check out
Crispen's site or Tools at VapourTech
6.2.1 On-line VRML Tools
6.2.2 VRML Tools
- Index at Web3D
- Cosmo Worlds from Platinium This is a long dead program, but some copies seem to fload around.
I didn't like it much (you could not hand edit)
6.2.3 Free VRML Tools
- Dune3D modelling and animation tool for the authoring of VRML
(win/unix/mac planned). Tried version 0.13 for Solaris, works
incredibly well for an early release (4/2000). DEAD now (2004) ?
- Need more ...
6.2.4 Free Java Classes for VRML
- Cool Java Tools from the The Virtual
Light Company: VermelGen. A Free VRML 2.0 Modelling Editor. Platform independant (works
with Java and the External Authoring Interface).... a bit difficult to
install (I failed for Cosmo/Irix). (dead project now (DKS 2/99) *
JVerge, A Free VRML 2.0 Node Java Class Library (dead project now)
6.2.5 Tools to hand-edit VRML
- Various emacs modes, (VRML support is installed in xemacs as
vrml-mode.el ,for gnu-emacs get inventor mode, iv.el).
want to install emacs.
- VrmlPad of ParallelGraphics, $US 150 (demo version available). High end
6.2.6 VRML code verification
6.2.7 Converters, Generators and other massage tools
- vrml1to2 (vrml 1 to vrml2 converter, installed at Tecfa)
Back to the