COAP 2110 Mid-term Exam 2010
1 - Exam tasks
Complete the flash file by reusing the existing layers and the objects in the library. This exam will last 80 minutes (about 10 minutes for each task).
Please complete the seven tasks described below. Make a copy of the files:
n:\coap2110\mid-term-2010-solution.swf (a possible solution without an extra animation)
Most of the work is already done, you only need to complete animations, to change properties of some objects and to add some others to the stage:
- All drawing objects you need are in the library
- All layers are locked. Unlock as needed.
- Some animations are embedded movie clips
- Most symbol instances are on the stage or within embedded clips and in the right frame.
- Most key frames are also predefined.
1.1 Background (gradient color)
Tip: Use the Gradient Transform tool to rotate the color
- Sky is a dull blue
- Make it a gradient color, darker toward the top and lighter toward the bottom
1.2 Sun animation (shape tween)
- Make the sun "pulsate" a bit
- Change its color a little bit and its size
- Create these changes in a first tween and then change back to the original color and size
- This is an embedded movie clip, edit the sun animation.
1.3 Flying plane (guided motion animation)
- The plane should fly from right to left
- It roughly should follow the hills
- This animation takes place in the main time line
Tip: This is a guided motion tween. Do first the linear tween in the main time line and then a add a motion guide layer. Bonus: Plane orients to path, i.e. aligns to the guiding line.
1.4 Girl animation (motion tween or frame-by-frame animation)
- The girl should wave to the plan with both her arms
- The animation is an embedded movie clip, i.e. edit the girl animation
Tip: You can do this either as motion animation (2 times 2 tweens in a row) or with a frame by frame animation.
1.5 Rain animation (motion tween)
- Make the rain fall out of the cloud
- This is an embedded movie clip. Edit the Rain animation
Tip: This is a simple motion tween.
1.6 Add trees
- Add at least four trees, two should be a bit uphill
- Trees in the back should have smaller size
1.7 Extra animation
- Add one other animation effect somewhere that would improve the overall Flash clip. Choose whatever you like. Only add one.
2 - Handing it in
- Enter your name in the document description (menu Modify->Document)
- Upload '''the *.fla''' (not the *.swf) file to the WorldClassroom.
- Make sure that the upload is ok. Talk to the instructor before you leave !
3 - Cheat sheet
- F5 will extend a frame without adding key frames
- F6 will insert a new key frame and copy contents from the prior key frame in the timeline
- F7 will insert a new empty key frame
- ALT-CTRL-S will allow to scale a selected object. Else just use the properties panel.
- Embedded movie clip animation
- To edit a movie clip, double click on the symbol either in the library or on the instance in the stage
- Shape tweening
- Right-click->Break Apart will turn a symbol instance into its components. You cannot morph symbols, you only can morph shapes !!
- Other Advice:
- Always lock layers you are not working on.
- Click on the select tool in the tools panel, before you think about moving objects or changing their size or color
- For motion tweens: Use a single movie clip symbol in a single layer !
- Backtrack (ctrl-Z) as soon as you see a "tween" object in your library. None is needed.
- Do not kill library objects created by the instructor !
- If you completely messed up a layer, lock all layers, unlock the bad one and remove all unwanted stuff (including bad tweens). Then restart again with a library object or (worst case scenario), open the original *.fla file again and copy/paste stuff you lost.
- Use F4 to hide / show panels if you need more drawing space. You also can zoom in/out
- The example solution:
- You are not obliged to reproduce exactly the same animation, e.g. the plane can follow a different path, tree sizes and positions can be different, etc.